



THE ANU OBSERVER

Meeting of The ANU Observer Council

Date: 11/12/2019

Expected open of meeting: 1700

Open of Meeting: 1710

Item 1 - Attendance and Apologies

Present:

Tristan Khaw-Digital Editor

Hayley Hands- Secretary

Konstantinos Katsanis- Treasurer

Angus Brooks- Web Team Leader

Absent:

Anthony Lotric- Without Apology(At Natcon)

Adelle Millhouse - Apologies sent

Procedural Matter

Appointment of a Chair

Motion that be Konstantinos Katsanis be elected as Chair of the ANU Observer Council

For: Angus, Tristan, Hayley, Konstantinos

Against:

Abstentions:

Motion Passes

Item 2 - Acknowledgement of Country

By Hayley Hands

Item 3 - Previous Action Items

3.1- Ratification of proposed OGM amendments into Constitution

For: Angus, Hayley, Tristan, Konstantinos

Motion Passes

Item 4 - Reports

No reports required

Item 5 - Items for Decision

Item 6 - Items for Discussion

6.1- Allocation of financial trustees for 2020

Kon: Essentially last year's trustees (Eliza and Jules) will transfer their trustee ship... so what we need to do to avoid (transfers and reimbursement) is allocate trustees to approve financial transfers.

Tristan: We should explore the option of having a transfer limit, so we can transfer money without having trustees physically present at purchases.

Kon: We haven't really had need to transfer (large amounts of money) in the past.

Angus: So the money could be transferred onto purchase cards?

Kon: Yes. In the past there has only been one past instance where Jules has involved me in that process. The only transfers we've done have been stipends and honoraria. I will contact Eliza about (allocating) purchase cards.

Hayley: I'm unsure how the process works but would it be possible to allocate more purchase cards.

Tristan: Maybe one card can stay on the treasurer, and one card in the small safe that only the executive or editors have the passcode for. That maybe something for you to investigate

Kon: The way it works is if you have your commonwealth bank account, you'll be able to see the Observer account separately. I don't think it's specifically assigned to one person. Also I need to check with the bank or Eliza or whoever knows how many trustees we need. The reason we have three was because the chair happened to be an editor at the time and obviously they had to have it, then they put me as a digital editor (because I make a lot of purchases of equipment), if we had to have three then we will have to discuss this but I would say it may be a good idea for this to be an editor.

Tristan: Digital editor, treasurer should have one but I don't see what the news editor would necessarily be spending money on. Could maybe be the secretary or another council member? I think this sort of stuff we should all compile handovers. We should contact people like Eliza, maybe like other people previously involved in Observer.

Hayley: I think we need a really detailed document and handover meeting.

Kon: I would say, we just need to talk to Eliza and talk about all the trustee stuff. Maybe make an actionable to contact Eliza.

Tristan: There is a lot of institutional knowledge that we (really need to function at all levels of observer)

Kon: We should consider including all editors in that meeting, but there are certain things that are council specific. I will check how much time she has and when she will be able to do that.

Actionable: Contact Eliza and Jules to begin process of transferring trusteeship and a handover discussion.

6.2- Office fit out (deadline 31st December)

Kon: At the moment we have about \$15,000. Obviously the computer will cost \$5,500-6000. I've already put what I want but if we want to spend money we may as well put an extra graphics card in it or something. That brings us to around \$9000 which is a lot of money, around \$3000-3500 to furniture and turning one of the rooms into a studio. Things like light, soundproofing

Tristan: We want to turn one of the rooms into a digital studio, the room is kind of echoey and the lighting isn't the best but it would be good to have a room to make a room for youtube/interview stuff. We are limited by space, budget and sort of the fact that we rent the space we can't drill soundproofing pads or anything.

Hayley: Tristan can make an itemized budget for the studio setup/safe and I can make one for other office things like a coffee machine, couch, general accessories.

Kon: It's fine if we have something left over but I would recommend that if you have time.

Tristan: Sunday I will probably be able to do some research

Kon: Just send the things through.

Hayley: I will put a call in the slack for anything, and an officeworks run could be beneficial.

Kon: Send the stuff through in a document and I will make a budget, I mean keep sending it through but preferably have it all to me by mid-next week.

Actionable: If can't get card from Eliza by Tuesday or Wednesday next week, we just go ahead and transfer money to an account to purchase what we need

6.3- Hiring of 3rd editor and reporters

Hayley: Sam has been recommended by others and has expressed his interest. He is currently in Europe and it would be preferable for the other editors to approach him when he is back.

Hayley: Reporters - I think it is important to push hiring reporters early next year.

Tristan: We should create a strategy.

Hayley: Good to create a strategic meeting event to sit down and discuss what's happening from now on.

Tristan: Preferably to have an editor's meeting this year. I would like to have training sesh over the holidays for anyone who is here. The reason is that when we train reporters we do that on the spot, but I think this causes a bit of stress on them. Also, cross training would be important.

Angus: Could we have a general induction?

Hayley and Tristan agree.

Tristan: Editors and then Strategic Meeting. See what everyone else is up to and then decide our availability and stuff, policy, procedures.

Hayley: I think Adelle is a good point to contact.

Tristan: Observer exists to provide content for students and we have been barely keeping up, I would really like to push that idea of providing more content to students to justify our SSAF funding. I would like Observer to be in general a more professional organisation, mainly in the sense that I would like to have written down procedures and policies that build systems.

Hayley: We need to implement handovers that create an institutional database so it doesn't feel like we're starting again

Tristan: We need training to be able to fully utilise the policy/procedure/style guides, and to be able to see when they're outdated and how we would go about fixing them. The hiring process should also be something that we have something written about in terms of criteria. I'm happy to start working on that (building those systems). A checklist system for writing an article would be good especially for training new reporters. Then we can see what they may have done right/wrong. Could also be good for publishing, digital etc.

Hayley: That makes us consistent.

Tristan: Yes, and more professional.

Actionable:

- Strategic meeting for every team before o-week: Announce it early in the Slack and make sure people give dates when they will be available
- Try and organise an editors meeting before this strategic meeting: discuss procedures, systems, direction for 2020, hiring processes, long term decision making
- Get started on making a definitive role handover procedure

Item 7 - Other Business

-Governance training

Hayley: Mentioned by Michael two weeks ago. Very beneficial for me as a lot of things have started coming up that I don't know exactly how to deal with.

Michael also mentioned the idea of including other institutions to the training.

Kon: Adelle is aware of the governance training, we could also talk to Eliza, Jess, Jason etc. I think this governance training should be mandatory for most council and editorial roles. Before we do governance training we should have a bit of a chat about it.

Tristan: I think it would be more valuable if we already had a chat about stuff we want to get out of it.

Kon: Last year a lot of stuff didn't make sense to me or Adelle so I definitely agree with that, and talking to past members of the organisation who have this governance experience.

-General Training

Tristan: Speaking of training sessions, do you have any ideas on what you would like training on.

Hayley: Beneficial to make a doc and put it in.

Tristan: Training sessions can also be internal. Even things like having solid policies about what it is acceptable for reporters to write about. Personally even basic photography would be good internal training sessions to have. Another thing is that I would like next year as a part of the standardisation is to have an Observer Google Calendar, that way we can schedule our meetings and send the link to that calendar to relevant people. If we have that, we can have rosters that change so people can show when they are available and when they aren't.

Office access:

Tristan: I think the alarm keycode should be restricted to executive/team leaders. They can disarm the alarm for people to use the space and then turn it back on.

Angus: I think the alarm is a bit redundant, ANU security has the capacity to see who has come in and out.

Tristan: Well, we have very expensive gear in here and Observer as an organisation tends to have high turnover.

Hayley: I think Observer is such a small organisation that we need to have trust in who we hire, and reduce the probability of incidents by setting guidelines about the use of the space. I think it would be a waste to not have it open to people within our organisation.

Actionable:

- Chase up Eliza about how we get information/access governance training
- Hayley look into Observer Google Calendar

Item 8 - Recall Actionables

- Give Angus access to Web stuff(web handover)

Expected Close of Meeting: 1800

Meeting closed at: 1810