



THE ANU OBSERVER

Meeting of The ANU Observer Council

Date: 15th May

Open of Meeting: 5:54 pm

Item 1 - Attendance, Apologies and Minutes of Last Meeting

Apologies from Jules

Item 2 - Acknowledgement of Country

Delivered by Eliza

Item 3 - Previous Action Items

Jess: action for you to call, action for me to go and talk to LK admin

Eliza: became unnecessary. I will discuss it in my report.

Jules to go to a news meeting to plug being assistant treasurer.

Jules: he went, not sure there's been interest.

Jules to get around Auditing

Eliza: not sure he's done this

Jess: we discussed that people need support in this at the reflection

Eliza: we need certain docs, anusa/parsa may be helpful

Jason to write and submit draft amendments

Eliz: he did

Jason: done, slightly late.

Item 4 - Reports



THE ANU OBSERVER

1. Chair's Report - Eliza.

Appendix A

Eliza: heard back last week, info by the end of the month. Will send a another email next week. Still earmarked for us. Move over the break.

Jess: did you look at the reflection stuff

Eliza: yes and backed them

Jason: we can probably get loki

2. Secretary's Report - Jason

Appendix B

Jason: The changes are submitted. I still need to write an EM. That will happen this week. The reflection was surprisingly good and the actions that came out of it were good. Everyone should bring a friend to the GM next fortnight. I think we should be fine for quorum.

Eliza: contact booking people about whether we could use Marie Reay for free.

3. Treasurer's Report - Jules

nil

4. Digital Report - Konstantinos

Appendix C

Kon: not really, TAR. questions?

Jess moves to accept, motion carries.

Item 5 - Items for Discussion

5.1 Last week's reflection

Jason: you read it, so its ok.

Eliza: feelings time.

Jason: My take is that we have Council meetings too frequently. We meet very frequently for a board.

Eliza: i kind of back that. Might be good for the issue of defensiveness; gives a low pressure and high pressure environment.

Eliza: let's trial it next semester. For now feelings after council meeting.

Kon: we used to do that



THE ANU OBSERVER

Jess: still kind of do, with more of an observer

Jason: practical point that our next meeting will be before gm

Eliza: GM

5.2 Constitutional reform update

Jason: everyone here has read it

5.3 News Editor candidates

Eliza: at least one person keen.

Kon: who?

Eliza: Anthony, been gunning for things

Jess: bec, she'll need to be pushed

Jason: observer attracts introverted people, a lot of the time really good people need pushing.

eLIZA: once we pass 5.4, ill slack this. We can pm the people who may be keen.

5.4 Motion pursuant to 2.8.2 and 2.8.3 to increase the number of Editors to 4, to be elected at the upcoming GM

Moved Jess

Jess: Ill speak broadly to the motion, I discussed this with Jason. 5 was too much, we have the opposite problem, with editors being overwhelming

Jess: runing into conflict issues

Eliza: everyone has to edit everything

Vote: unanimously in favour, carries as per 2.8.3 of the Electoral Regulations.

5.5 Removal of officers from the organisation

Jess: yes,

Eliza: I'll check whether we need to formally remove resignations

Jason: doesn't matter

Motion to confirm the removal of and/or remove Anthea Dockerill, Deepu Ashok, Sandra Tong.

Moved by Kon

Jess: on the record, anthea just resigned because she is busy.

Kon: so both of those people entered last year, this year they did not work. Sandra resigned, the other person I had to chase down. After the talk, he resigned. They were busy, we should be more careful with who we take on.



THE ANU OBSERVER

Carries unanimously

Item 6 - Other Business

6.1 motion to appoint Hayley Hands and Ned de Grandi

Eliza moves: Ned has been with us sometime, Hayley has been with us for a shorter time, has attended other events. She is really good for volunteering for events. Fair to appoint her now

Jason: I think to get into a better practice with how long we take to confirm people. Could cause issues, given they are technically not officers.

Kon: harder for digital, I usually like more time for probation. I have someone like that now.

Jason: that seems appropriate

Eliza: this could be procedure under the teams, when we can do that

Motion carries unanimously.

6.2 Motion to confirm officer list, see appendix D

Moved Jason

Carries

Item 7 - Recall Actionables

Eliza: contact booking people about whether we could use Marie Reay for free.

Jason: we can probably get loki

Closed 5:43

Appendix A

- I think last week's session was really valuable. We should arrange to do that as a regular thing, perhaps termly.
- We have some news on the office space! The news is that we will have more news by the end of the month. Joy.
- General Meeting week 12:



THE ANU OBSERVER

- I've been really trying to drum up attendance. Please everyone come and bring your friends. Accountability, yay!
- I contacted Arbitration last week asking them to let me know if anyone would be leaving so we could work out how many positions would be up for election. I've not heard anything back, will be following up this week.
- Keen for the constitutional changes. We should also have a look and see if any regs need changing, though I think we did a tidy-up last GM.
- Anyone have access to a dog?
- I've made a Trello for us. I think we should start using it today to keep track of actionables.
- I need to follow up with Arbitration on when they plan to discuss honoraria.

Appendix B

I wrote and submitted the constitutional amendments. I will write an EM, and my report. The reflection was good. Also GM is wednesday fortnight

Appendix C

Things completed: SRC 3, both a livestream and photos for the articles. CCM livestream. Photos of all current Kambri stores are up online (done by Jess), more photos of the School of Music, BNO and the Kambri Protest. We also livestreamed the Federal Election Q&A on Tuesday (by Eliza).

Unfortunately, I could not get any digital person to attend neither the event yesterday, neither the one today at Badger & Co. I would have undertaken them, but at the moment I am busy with the Fenner Musical, which I signed up to film months ago. I understood we were in lack of video people and that is why I opened a videographer application a month ago. The application has closed, and interviews have started, with the first one held on today. I am planning to come back to them within two weeks. I hosted three digital meetings, which two of them were because some people couldn't make it to the main one. I will aim to have only one, though, as holding so many in one week is time consuming. One of our photographers is resigning, as he could not commit to the organisation at all. For reasons such as these, me and Stavros have discussed strategies of how we should approach our applicants from now on.

Lastly, there have been couple of events that we have rejected. One was an invitation to take photos at Biology Ball and another to livestream 'Festival: "Young women: Take the lead!"'. The reason I rejected the first one, it was because taking photos of balls is very



THE ANU OBSERVER

time-consuming job, we have not budgeted for such events and if we were doing one ball then we would get asked by more clubs to shoot their events. I think for the moment our aim is not to cover such events. The reason we did not undertake the second one was because it was a livestream that would last for the whole day, which I don't think we are ready to do yet, and also the organisers were a bit unclear on what they wanted and if it is "an ANU thing". The second one made me think about what kind of guest lecture events we are able to cover. I think it was good how in the past, societies, such as Learning Communities, were inviting us to livestream or shoot some of their events. I think it is good to get back to it, but we perhaps should clarify what is appropriate for Observer to shoot.

Appendix D

Adelle Millhouse

Jason Pover

Jessica Whiting

Eliza Croft

Konstantinos Katsanis

Julian Lee

Anthony Lotric

Surbhi Aurora

Ned De Grandi

Hayley Hands

Jessica Wu

Broneal Sarkosh

Tristan Khaw

Zac Than

Stavros Dimos

Appendix E (belated T's report)

Can't access Slack, but here's my report -
Treasurer's Report

- Attended News meeting to plug assistant treasurer position; no messages from anyone so far, but staying hopeful.

- Many plans made at reflection session to make Treasurer role both more effective and more bearable.



THE ANU OBSERVER

- Planning to try and schedule a meeting with Luby soon to get an idea of what we should expect this year from the SSAF process, and who we should talk to.