

## Meeting of The ANU Observer Council

Date: 3rd April

Open of Meeting: 6:45

Minutes of Last Meeting:

### Item 1 - Attendance, Apologies and Minutes of Last Meeting

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RnnjX0nap0ry76iqMpvFjRdCXnTxea-WHrazOSTJuzE/edit?usp=sharing>

Apologies from Kon

aLL OTHER attendign

### Item 2 - Acknowledgement of Country

Delivered by Eliza

### Item 3 - Previous Action Items

Jason: I will move towards organising a week 10 ogm

Jason: not yet, will do it

Kon to talk to his team to work out who to deputise

Eliza: kno is not here

Kon's report: I still need to talk to Stavros about the position of 'deputy' for the digital team, as I would like to discuss it with him when the examination period is over.

Jules to go to a news meeting to plug being assistant treasurer.

Jules: could not do it because ophel got in the way, thanks for Jess for telling me that.

Eliza: slack

Jules: both

Eliza: would allow to crystallize the role

Jules: I will prep it, I would wnat to chat to council about what that role would be

Jess's advice paper be open for comment for 2 weeks.

Jess: it was, comments were made (late)

#### Item 4 - Reports

1. News Report - Adelle
  - a. Not received

2. Digital Report - Kon

The digital team has been 'quite' over the past two weeks. We livestreamed the SRC last week and this week we are getting photos of Wamburun, BnG, Wright Hall and Bruce Hall. We have received one application for video, which I am going to review before the end of the week. We have the last interview for photography tomorrow. Two new members have joined Slack, Zac and Yilei. Yilei still needs to be approved by Council, but I will leave that till she has completed more graphics and feels comfortable with the organisation. Same accounts for Bhuwan Bansal, who I will add to the channel tomorrow. It has been very difficult to give tasks or starting new projects without the whole team's presence in the meetings, but that is because we haven't gotten into an agreement for a time to meet, yet. Now that exams and assignments are coming to an end, I hope we will be able to meet up properly, potentially on Thursdays. I still need to talk to Stavros about the position of 'deputy' for the digital team, as I would like to discuss it with him when the examination period is over.

3. Chair's Report - Eliza

- Generally pleased with how Observer is going - hiring has gone well, and we have ramped up our coverage and presence in the second half of Term
- No updates on the office yet. I've followed up with the uni. Turns out that Scott McClymont, who I had been corresponding with, now no longer works at ANU. I'm a bit worried this is going to put us back in terms of getting solid info, but we shall see.
- Keen to look at the constitutional changes we discussed. We'll need to call a General Meeting in the next couple of weeks - don't want to be holding it in Week 11 or 12.
- Isabel's family has organised an event on 24 April at Smith's, to commemorate a year since her passing. I've invited relevant Observer people; let me know if I've missed anyone.

Jason: So how is News going in terms of quantity?



# THE ANU OBSERVER

Eliza: Improved since ophel, 5 including SRC last week. Effectively 6 in work, Iso braking graphic for ophel. This week is quieter, but doing investigative work for over the break.

Jules moves to suspend minutes  
Jason moved to resume minutes.

#### 4. Secretary's Report - Jason

Nothing to Report, save that I have contacted tom from Arbitration to make sure they are ready to do stipends.

Jason: Tom said Arbitration is all g.

Jason: Tom got back to me, Arbitration is all g, Eliza tells me that Stavros tells that the email is working for arb, so jules is good to go.

Eliza: I have sent the email about stipends.

Jules: thanks

Eliza: i said we will pay it out whichever is later between having the money and having the authority.

#### 5. Treasurer's Report - Jules

ANU has been invoiced for our SSAF, with all documentation complied with as far as I understand it; the process is underway. I haven't heard back from the Provost. I plan on giving FSS a call in a week to ask about their progress, and then repeatedly poking FSS thereafter.

\* We've invoiced ANU for the full 70% of our SSAF, under the understanding that they'll subtract our leftover funds from that, which comprises the 'acquittal'; I acquired this understanding from the Chair. If they fail to do the correct subtraction, we'll get in touch with them and ensure that they subtract any leftover funds when we make our second application.

\* As discussed in the previous meeting, we're holding over stipends for the time being, pending the Secretary's check-in with Arbitration.



# THE ANU OBSERVER

Jules: TAR, highlighting that ANU has been invoiced, no response from the provost, Ill assume that is good. I will talk to FSS asking whether we have done this properly. I will give them 3 weeks, if not done by then well...

Eliza: chase them on monday,

Jules: ok.

Eliza: Question, would you consider doing a receipt system for stipends?

Jules: yes, I have currently been using a negative process.

Eliza: some sort of form. We can keep that for auditing purposes

Jules: Re auditing, I've never done auditing.

Eliza: We're using PKF, the PARSA?ANUSA auditor.

Jules: I will be away over the midsem break, but can assist at distance.

Jules: I move to accept all the reports.  
passes.

## **Item 5 - Items for Discussion**

### **1. Item 6 - Other Business**

#### **6.1 Constitutional Reform**

Jason: Apologies to people who were here for last meeting, I misunderstood. All we have to do by 15 April is inform certain people of our plan to change the Constitution. Unclear how detailed this has to be. By 5 weeks before 2nd July, we have to have made the changes. I want to organise a meeting to happen during the break.

Jules: I can Skype in.



# THE ANU OBSERVER

Jason: I want to do pretty significant overhaul of a lot of things, not just the couple of things Eliza pointed out. I want to make our Constitution more flexible for the growth and change of Observer. I want to cut Digital up into IT and Digital Content, have a finance team, all run by an elected head or group, who pick a representative for Council.

**Action: When is Good, decide on Friday**

6.2 News Output

Jason: Tabled

6.3 Resignation Notice

Jason: I'm looking at maybe finishing up at the end of the Semester. Currently feeling overcommitted.

6.4 Motion that Council accept Jess's prior report on the Woroni incident, having had 2 weeks circulation (See Appendix A)

Unminuted discussion while Jason was speaking.

Jess moves

Passes with one abstention

## **Item 7 - Recall Actionables**

**Action for Jason: When is Good, decide on Friday**

Jules to contact FSS

Jules to get around Auditing

Jason: I will move towards organising a week 10 ogm

Kon to talk to his team to work out who to deputise

Jules to go to a news meeting to plug being assistant treasurer.

Closed 7:14

## **Appendix A**

See internal document