



THE ANU OBSERVER

Meeting of The ANU Observer Council

Date 13/06/2018

Open of Meeting: 1816

Item 1 - Attendance and Apologies

Absent with Apology: Ebe Ganon

Item 2 - Acknowledgement of Country

To be given by the chair.

Item 3 - Previous Action Items

3.1 Provide details to Access Canberra

Eliza: I have started on this. There has been some complication because Michael never updated the details this year. I have to prepare an update on the entire new constitution. I have to get a signature from Ming because Michael didn't update officers in December.

Joel: How is it possible this stuff didn't get changed in December or January?

Eliza: We'll have to pay a \$100 fine to cover this. We have money put aside for these sorts of things.

3.2 Follow-up with Andrew Heath regarding Constitutional change

Eliza: Done. It's approved. Going to Council on July 20.

3.3 Eliza to contact Alyssa regarding SEEF

Eliza: I forgot about this. I'll do it this week.

3.4 Ebe to prepare ANU+ proposal for Council

Eliza: Obviously hasn't happened.

3.5 Ebe to administer the upgrade to Slack Education

Eliza: This is done. We have Slack Education.

Jason: So we have it?

Eliza: Ebe is finalising the stuff. She posted in #Council today.

3.6 Adam to administer the upgrade to G-Suite

Eliza: I think he was waiting until Slack upgrade was done. I assume he'll be working on it from now.

3.7 Creation of a working group for creation of Community Manager/Additional Editor

Eliza: We can do a working day once Exam Period is done.

Jason: We can organise that today.

Eliza: We'll do it Friday.

3.8 Ebe to prepare role descriptions for the Digital Portfolio

Eliza: Yes, she's done this and put them in Council. Everyone should take a look at them.

Item 4 - Reports

No reports requested due to Examination Period, none received.

Joel: I didn't request reports because I know everyone is busy with exams.

Item 5 - Items Requiring Immediate Decision

Item 6 - Items Requiring Discussion

6.1 SSAF Meetings

Eliza: I'm waiting to get the finalised timeline and dates from ANU. There's been some issues because everything goes through Alliance, but hasn't given me access. I found out today that it's being used. I need Michael and I to contact Lily to pass over access. It wasn't a problem before now, but now it is. In terms of mid-year SSAF, I lean towards us not bidding because I cannot think of a compelling case for the funds, unless someone wants a particular piece of equipment. It sucks that we got our regular SSAF so late. If we'd gotten it on time we might have had a reason, but as things are I can't think of a compelling reason.

There will be two meetings, one in June and one in July. In terms of attendance - still awaiting exact dates. One of the times was my birthday. I said we couldn't attend that date, but if we are going to that then we'll need to organise that.

SSAF needs to come first, naturally. In terms of who should go, I think it is useful for me to because I've done it before. Experience helps. I would like one other Councillor to attend. Jules, you're not here in June?

Jules: No, I won't be.

Eliza: That's fine, we got short notice.

Jules: I won't be back until mid-late July.

Eliza: That leaves the others. What do people think? Does anyone want to come?

Jason: I've discussed this with you before, I think it's important that we have institutional continuity. We should have people going this year who will also go next year. Out of that we thought someone like Adelle. Or me or Ebe, since Joel is going.

Joel: Also I'm sure somebody would have something to say if my partner and I were the two representing Observer. Also ANU pays me.

Eliza: I would have a problem with the optics of that from other groups looking at us. In terms of Jason and Ebe, I believe that Ebe has too large a conflict from her paid position with ANU Sport. I think it's great that she has the job, but the conflict of interest is inherent with both Observer and ANU Sport being in the room. It would be her role to critique the group that pays her. I'd have the same issue if someone wanted to come and was getting paid by ANUSA or sat on Clubs' Council. I think otherwise both Ebe and Jason have equal merits to attend. Given that we won't be bidding for SSAF in the mid-year I don't think we need to emphasise having someone from each portfolio.

Jules: I'd like that every portfolio submit budgetary ideas and requests to me, so that I can try and work things out. This makes my job so much easier. Everyone can bid and negotiate through me and Council first, then bring a unified pitch to the SSAF room.

Eliza: Yes, in terms of being in the room you represent Observer as a whole, not your internal portfolio. Ebe just suggested having Kon going as the third person. I back that. If he's staying on it would be good to have someone from Digital who knows the governance stuff. Alternatively Kon could go to one, and Adelle to another.

Jason: I'm not entirely sure I object to Ebe doing this. If ANU Sport doesn't have problems with it, and we don't, then it's not a problem. But it's contingent on that. You're right, I think, if you ignore this conflict issue then I think we're both equally qualified. I'd want to talk to Ebe about who's more keen.

Jules: I think the conflict is bad optics and a deal breaker. Since we're not planning on bidding - as Treasurer I'm against bidding - I have concerns about the optics. I'm sure she could manage it personally, but I don't want us to get roasted over it.

Joel: I'll just echo what Jules said. I don't think the conflict would result in her being excessively favourable towards ANU Sport, but it would reflect badly on us that we allowed the conflict into the room.

Eliza: I'd be okay if nobody else could attend, similar to legal avoidance of conflicts of interest. Happy for Jason to talk to Ebe to determine levels of 'super keenness'.

Jules: If she is, and you're not, and we're confident it won't become a talking point, then my vote can go to Ebe.

Eliza: Currently I lean to not where possible.

Item 6.5 - Confidential Items

Item 7 - Other Business

7.1 The Office

Jason: This is something we need to deal with. People need access. Can we just talk to Jack on Facebook about getting it done?

Eliza: He was here the other day so if I see him I'll raise it. Otherwise I'll message him over the weekend.

Jason: There are several people who need access.

Item 8 - Recall Actionables

Contact Jack about getting people access

Jason and Ebe to discuss attending SSAF Meeting

Adam to get us G-Suite

Eliza to advertise working group (hour) on Friday?

Eliza to communicate with Alyssa RE:SEEF

Close of Meeting: 1914